Welcome! And Thank you for stopping by.



Are you thinking: "What is this blog all about?"
I am glad you asked.


As a professional reader, I spend my days reading the Internet. When I find something of interest I share it here. If you like the information presented here, please subscribe to my blog.

If you would like a customized report delivered directly to you, please subscribe to The Data Digger service. A subscription to The Data Digger service will save you hours of time researching. You will be satisfied you have the information you need and you will have more time to focus on other priorities.

I hope you enjoy the information shared here.

Wishing you a productive day,
Lara Nieberding
Professional Reader



Saturday, July 5, 2008

Another Second Life Resource

"TBD has broadened its scope to include development of full learning environments in the virtual world of Second Life. This new offering includes consulting on land selection and purchase, security configuration, marketing plan development in-world, terra-forming, landscaping, facility builds, avatar customization, team onboarding and training, and development of custom learning curriculum."

TBD Consulting Launches New Offering in Second Life



Has TBD Consulting done a market analysis? Is there an interest in hiring a consulting firm to establish a presence in Second Life?

In my experience with Second Life, those interested dive in and do it themselves. I found more consultants for Second Life than actual clients interested in hiring a consultant. Knowledge is free in Second Life. Residents are very willing to share with one another.

I have also witnessed people claiming to be potential clients receive a price quote and back away. The price quote is given in "real life" dollars. They were expecting virtual currency. It is more cost effective, easier and simply more fun to do it yourself.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, This is Mike Abrams from TBD Consulting you mentioned ( http://www.tbdconsulting.com ). if we were talking about just marketing presence in Second Life, I would agree with you. However, our specialty in RL is developing learning teams, instructional design and we've now included how that can translate to Second Life by designing curriculum or experiences within the Second Life environment. The first immediate benefit to a corporation is to get a pilot up and running for further funding. true, they will develop their skills over time. Thanks for commenting on this..all opinions are respected.

Lara Nieberding, The Data Digger said...

Thank you Mike for commenting. I appreciate your clarification.
I find the many ways people intend to monetize a virtual world experience fascinating.

In my research, I found there were a lot more companies offering learning teams, instructional design and curriculum development than there were "clients."

When you were developing the business plan for TBD Consulting, did you include research inside the Second Life environment as well as your intended target market? Off the top of my head I can name at least a dozen companies offering the same services TBD Consulting offers. They have yet to report income let alone profit. That is why I asked the question, who is the intended market?

Any business large or small considering a presence in or using a virtual world needs to be very aware of intellectual property laws. Why would a corporation of any size want to invest in a platform where they have no control or ownership of their content? Everyone should read the Terms of Service very carefully.

Again, thank you for your clarification. I appreciate you for taking the time to comment. I wish you success with your endeavor.